“To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today”– Anonymous
Parents express love for their children in a variety of ways. Some shower them with affection, others praise their children constantly, and some feel the need to give their little ones expensive gifts. Personally, I believe that one of the healthiest ways to express love for our children is to spend time with them. Whether your child is a newborn or a teenager, there is nothing more important then spending time with him. It communicates that he is valued. With the demands facing parents these days, you may be wondering how you will ever find the time, but you will not regret the effort. Here are some research-based reasons why parents should spend time with their children:
- It sends a message that your child is loved and valuable.
- Social experiences during infancy have a positive impact on brain development.
- Modeling language during your child’s early years increases her vocabulary.
- It improves your child’s self-esteem.
- Having fun with your child also creates a meaningful connection between the two of you.
- Spending time together provides you with opportunities to express affection towards your child.
- Children’s academic success is associated with having mothers who frequently communicated with them.
- Children whose fathers spend more time with them have higher IQs than those who don’t.
- Spending time in family leisure activities is associated with greater emotional bonding within the family.